Catching up with our River Ambassadors
During the last quarter of 2020 the River Ambassadors received much of the training planned for the first year on the programme after it was delayed as a result of the pandemic. They completed the following training:
- Brushcutter and Chainsaw Operation
- Basic Fire Training, presented on 4 November and facilitated by BMB staff from Witsands Aquifer Nature Reserve. They also provided an introduction to working on the fire line and operating a skid unit.
- Personal Safety Training was facilitated on 5 November by Quemic and ACT Personal Safety to provide the learners with the necessary practical experience that they require for their qualification.
- The River Ambassadors were offered academic support on 15 and 16 November 2020, and given an opportunity to complete their workbooks and discuss any challenges relating to the Learnership.
- From 15 to 21 November 2020, the River Ambassadors went on their second week of nature conservation training at Vrolikheid Nature Reserve, which was very successful.
Project Manager, Hlomla Dali tells us there are a number of training sessions set up for 2021. We will keep you posted on their progress.
On 7 December 2020, they hiked up Platteklip Gorge Trail and descended with the cable car. The Table Mountain Cableway Company sponsored the Learners with tickets – an exciting excursion and opportunity to learn and see a different landscape. None of the River Ambassadors had experienced a ride on the cable car before, so this was a thrilling experience for all!